Thursday, June 2, 2011

8 Weeks

I'm officially 8 weeks pregnant today.  It's funny how the medical world counts those 8 weeks.  You start counting from the first day of your last menstrual cycle.  Ovulation occurs roughly 2 weeks after that, and implantation (when the sperm & egg are fertilized they travel down the fallopean tubes & attach to your uterine lining) happens a few days later.  So technically your are labelled as 3 weeks pregnant before the little thing even exists.  By the time you get a double line on the test strip, you're already 4 weeks pregnant.  Go figure.  Medicine at it's best.

So I'm 8 full weeks pregnant, and I'm totally feeling it.  Yesterday morning I was thinking to myself, I feel totally normal, I hope that's not a bad thing.  Then last night I got home and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was passed out on the couch for nearly two hours after a brief visit to the porcelain depository.  When I woke up, I was ravenous, searching for anything that could satisfy my bottomless preggo belly.  I cooked up the most beautiful marinated steaks, took one bite, and ran back to visit my porcelain friend.  Is this really happening?  I'm was so hungry I could eat a cow, but one wiff of that juicy, tender piece of meat and I realized that there was no chance that I would be able to keep this down.  There is something very wrong with this situation.  I had to settle for a box of macaroni and a can of ginger ale.  Bummer, now my husband will reap the benefits of getting to eat both steaks.

I get a weekly update from the Baby Center on Ziggy's development - he/she has almost outgrown their tale (also called a fetal pole).  Check it out!

Baby, fetus at 8 weeks - BabyCenter
http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-8-weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment